33 31 00
Both coil springs on the relevant axle must be replaced only in the event of corrosion breakage!
The coil spring is allocated in the Electronic Parts Catalogue (EPC) under the menu item “Spring table” after the vehicle identification number has been entered and the optional equipment of the respective car has been selected!
Before using the special tool 31 3 340 take care to read through the Owner’s Handbook!
All the safety precautions and instructions contained in the Owner’s Handbook must be strictly observed!
Failure to observe these safety precautions and instructions increases the risk of serious physical injury, damage to your health and damage to property and equipment!
- Use only the BMW approved special tool!
- Prior to each use, check the special tools for defects, modifications and operational reliability.
- Damaged/modified special tools must not be used!
- No changes or modifications may be made to the special tools!
- These special tools are intended solely for the purpose of tightening and relieving cylindrical and tapered suspension springs.
- Keep special tools dry, clean and (down to the spindle) free from grease.
- Impact screwdrivers are prohibited!
- Do not compress coil spring to full extent.
- All screws, nuts, bolts and hose clamps removed during the repair must be replaced.
- Retaining elements on chassis and suspension and steering parts must be replaced.
Necessary preliminary tasks:
Remove front spring strut.
Relieve tension on coil spring.
Release special tool 2 240 487.
Take out the coil spring with protective tube and support bearing.
Check support bearing and protective tube for damage, replace if necessary.
The flattened end (1) of the spring is placed onto the support bearing.
Do not compress coil spring to full extent.
The gummed side of the pressure plate 2 240 487 is fitted against the top spring coil!
Position the coil spring:
- Insert the coil spring with protective tube and support bearing.
- Join the pressure plate 2 240 487 using the screws 2 240 490 .
- Position the spring so that the end of the spring (1) protrudes by 40 mm beyond the pressure plate 2 240 487 .
- Tighten the screws 2 240 490 evenly at 7 Nm.
The pressure plate 2 240 487 must be aligned parallel with the top spring coil (1)!
Tension coil spring.
See Replacing the front left or right spring strut