Removing and installing clutch for engine M60, M62, M73 BMW 7 E38
1. Remove the Manual transmission.
2. Lock the flywheel from turning by means of a special device number 11 2070 (for the M60, M62 and M73) or number 11 2 170 (for all other engines).
3. Remove crosswise 1 turn the bolts to remove the force from the spring clutch pressure. Remove the clutch basket and clutch disc.
4. Clean the flywheel and pressure plate from dirt and check for wear and damage. If necessary, replace the flywheel and pressure plate.
5. Clean the flywheel and pressure plate from dirt and check for wear and damage. If necessary, replace the flywheel and pressure plate.
6. Check the flywheel mounting bolts on the oil leaks. If necessary, replace the bolts.
7. Check clutch plate for damage and rust on the slots, replace the clutch disc, if necessary.
Warning: Contaminated foreign substances (oil, cleanser, etc.) driven wheels must be replaced.
8. Check the clutch plate wear. To do this, measure the protrusion of the friction linings riveted to her attachment, each time at closing head (A). Clutch plate must be replaced if the lining protrusion at closing head is less than 1 mm. Install the clutch disc on the prepurified Manual transmission input shaft and make sure that the drive is easy to move on the shaft.
9. Installation is the reverse order. Handle clutch plate with care: do not touch surfaces of friction linings, clutch disc install correctly, in accordance with the marks «Motorseite» (engine side) and «Getriebeseite» (Manual transmission side). Centre the clutch plate with special tool № 21 2130 (for the 5-speed Manual transmission) or the number 21 2 120 (5-speed Manual transmission).
10. When installing the clutch manually screw the bolts and tighten them crosswise each time for 1 turn with the required force.