Adjusting the parking brake of the BMW 5 E39
The parking brake is structurally completely independent of the service brakes. Therefore, the parking brake wear is negligible. Corrosion of brake drum or contamination of the brake pads reduces braking torque. If regulated by the old pads, the parking brake must be run-in. To do this, from a speed of 40 km / h, carefully apply the parking brake so that the braking process is started. Keeping the speed, tighten the brake on one tooth and drive for about 400 meters. Thus, removed traces of corrosion and wear products are removed deposited.
Adjusting the parking brake is required when:
a) Replace pads parking brake.
b) Replace the brake drum.
c) Setting up pad position.
d) the need for greater tightening (more than 10 teeth).
! Parking brake cables and all the movable elements must be easy to move.
1. Remove both rear wheels on one wheel bolts.
2. Lift and establish the car on supports.
3. Remove the parking brake lever forward over the handle. See the accompanying illustration.
! SRT to adjust the parking brakes use special tool BMW-341030. The device consists of two members each other end key, adjusted for various sizes of lock nuts and adjusting nuts. If such a device is not present, you must remove the lever cover and, if necessary, the central console.
4. Remove the parking brake lever. To do this, loosen the screw (4). Remove the bolts (5) and (6), first removing the caps. Remove the cover. To do this, pull the cover back up towards the driver’s seat and pull out.
5. Remove the two lock nuts and adjusting bolts (arrows on an accompanying illustration), the parking brake cables. Fully loosen the ropes.
6. Completely unscrew one bolt on each wheel. Turn the wheel so that the hole took a lower position. Shine a flashlight into the hole. Adjusting nut thus should be visible.
! The wheel, as shown in the accompanying illustrations, not have to be removed.
7. Turn the adjusting nut (1) with a screwdriver (2) press the brake pads so that the wheel can not be turned by hand. Then unscrew the back teeth by 8 adjusting nut. If the adjusting nut on the left side of the vehicle is rotated in the direction of arrow (refer to the accompanying illustration) brake pads adjacent to the drum. On the right side of the vehicle rotates the nut in the opposite direction.
8. After the adjustment, check that the wheels rotate freely. If not, loosen the adjusting nut. The wheels should always rotate freely.
9. Adjust the drive brake cables. To tighten the brake lever 4 tooth and screw the adjusting nuts (arrows in the figure) so that the left and right rear wheels can be rotated evenly by hand. Release the parking brake lever and check that the wheels rotate freely. If necessary, repeat the adjustment.
10. Release the brake lever.
11. Switch on the ignition. The warning lamp should light up the parking brake is not.
12. Tighten the parking brake lever on one tooth. In this case braking of the rear wheels should not be. Otherwise, necessary to adjust again.
13. Tighten the parking brake lever on the 2 prongs. The warning lamp should now ignite. If not, bend the relay contact on the brake lever.
14. Switch off the ignition.
15. Tighten the locknut while holding the adjusting nuts.
16. Attach the side cover of the handbrake lever. Replace the screw caps.
17. Hook the bottom and fasten the top front cover of the handbrake lever.
18. Lower the car on wheels.
19. Replace the two screws on the rear wheels and tighten them to a torque of 100 Nm. Install the wheel caps.